On 20th April 2019, Indian Navy launched its third Vishakhapatnam Class stealth guided missile destroyer, INS Imphal at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai under Project 15B.
INS Imphal, third ship of Project 15B, Guided Missile Destroyer of Indian Navy launched at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai. In keeping with maritime traditions, Smt Reena Lanba, President NWWA, broke a coconut on the ship’s bow and launched the ship, as invocation from the Atharva Veda was being rendered.
INS Imphal Wiki
Project 15B ships feature cutting edge advanced technology and are comparable to the best ships of similar class anywhere in the world.
- Stealth Guided Missile Destroyer Imphal is third ship of Project 15B i.e. Vishakhapatnam Class destroyer.
- Designed indigenously by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design, New Delhi
- Built by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited, Mumbai.
- Displacement – 3,037 tonnes.
- Spans 163 metres in length and 17.4 metres at beam
- Propelled by four gas turbines to achieve speed in excess of 30 knots
- Incorporate new design concepts for improved survivability, sea keeping, stealth and manoeuvrability
- Enhanced stealth features
- Will operate two multiple role helicopters.
- packed with an array of state-of-the-art weapons and sensors, including multi-functional surveillance radars and vertically launched missile system for long distance engagement of shore, sea-based and air targets
- Keel of the ship was laid down in 2017.
- Expected to enter service by 2023.
- An improved version of the Kolkata-class (Project 15A)
- Stealth guided missile destroyers
- The class comprises four ships – Visakhapatnam (Launch 2015) , Mormugao (Launch 2016), Imphal (Launch 2019) and Porbandar (Launch 2020 expected).
- Being built by the Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) in India
- Will be the largest destroyers to be operated by the Indian Navy
- Will carry two helicopters.
- 127 mm Main Gun
- Reduced radar cross section
- Automatic Power Management System
- Will feature Combat Management System
Stay Up To Date With The Latest Updates and Event Info